Rewiring fuses

If you live in an older home your switchboard may still have semi-enclosed rewireable fuses.

These fuses are ceramic plug-in units on the switchboard. They have a length of fuse wire connected between two screws on the contacts of a fuse holder and operate in an overload or short-circuit current.

From time to time these fuses can blow and the following steps must be used to safely replace the wire.

  1. Switch the power off from the appliance being used and unplug it.
  2. Use the correct rated fuse wire for the size of the cable in the circuit it protects.
  3. The fuse rating is generally stamped on the outside of each fuse holder or marked on the switchboard near the fuse base.
  4. Never use an oversize fuse wire as it can cause damage to the electrical installation wiring or start a fire.
  5. Put the correctly rewired fuse into its holder and turn on the main power switch.
  6. If the fuse blows again with the electrical equipment unplugged the fault may be in another electrical appliance or a fault in the wiring. You should then call a licensed electrical contractor.

Ensure any damaged or faulty electrical appliance is checked and repaired only by a licensed electrical contractor or authorised repairer.

If you don’t have a safety switch consider getting one installed because they can save your life and property.

Remember only safety switches save lives. Circuit breakers and surge protectors protect appliances not people.

Water and electricity do not mix.

Take extreme care when using electrical appliances or equipment near a swimming pool, pond, water feature, dam or creek.

  • Only use electrical equipment via a safety switch.
  • If equipment is not designed to operate in water make sure it cannot fall or slide in.

Mains operated equipment like pumps, lights and appliances must be:

  • Installed and used according to manufacturer’s instructions fit for purpose.
  • Submersible pumps must be either of the earthed type or 12 volts.
  • Keep extension leads, cords or electrical appliances out of the water.

It’s just not worth the risk

While you may think you can ‘save’ a couple of dollars by ‘having a go’…

Stop – and ask yourself – is it worth risking your life or that of a loved one?

Not only is it breaking the law, but you could also be jeopardising your insurance!

Even when you think you know what you are doing, never attempt to do your own electrical work – it’s dangerous, illegal and can be fatal.

Unlicensed and DIY electrical work – it’s just not worth the risk!

Get a licensed electrical contractor

Always get a licensed electrical contractor to do any electrical work.